My First Time Flying SWISS Business Class
I wouldn’t describe myself as either a budget or a luxury traveller; I tend to be right smack in the middle, more focused on the value of things rather than the simple price tag. So when the kind folks at SWISS offered me a surprise upgrade to Business Class, I was excited to see what the fuss was all about.
Theirs, after all, is one of the most acclaimed business classes in the commercial aviation world. But would it live up to the hype? Would it forever change the way I look at air travel?
[disclaim]This is not a sponsored post. I’m just happy to share my newfound love for SWISS business class.[/disclaim]
SWISS Business Class – A Few Photos
SWISS Business Class – My Impressions
Let’s state the obvious right away: business class is pretty much heaven on earth as far as air travel is concerned from the very moment you step foot in the airport. To me, flying business meant you had access to
nicer actual cutlery and spacious seats, and little more – I had no idea that so many other privileges came alongside that.
For instance, did you know that when you fly business class, you can:
- Check your luggage in a matter of minutes thanks to a separate priority check-in desk;
- Take two hand luggage and two checked luggage with you (with priority clearance);
- Access the SWISS and Star Alliance Partners’ relaxing lounges, where food, drinks and WiFi are complimentary;
- Be one of the first passengers to board the aircraft;
- Have an attendant take your coat to the Business cabin’s wardrobe;
- Relax with a glass of bubbly once you are seated;
- Travel in comfort with a spacious seat that converts into a roomy 2-metre flat bed at the touch of a button. It also has an integrated MASSAGE FUNCTION. You read that right.
- Nom on some of Switzerland’s most iconic food. Indeed, the team of acclaimed chefs hired by SWISS creates a new menu every three months, featuring one of the Swiss cantons.
- Get an exhaustive and very Swiss amenity kit (which includes a moisturizer, mints, eye mask, socks, as well as toothbrush & toothpaste).
It goes without saying that my experience went without a hitch, and that flying economy will now be even worse than it was before – knowing what lies ahead in Business Class. I was pleasantly surprised by the incredible level of service I received throughout the flight, which almost had me believe I was Queen of Canada rather than good ol’ Marie, travel blogger with a taste for the finer things.
Business Class – Is It Worth It?
The big question! Of course it’s worth it. But it depends in which circumstances. I wouldn’t fly business for local flights, for example. I can definitely get behind the idea of a low-cost carrier for short flights, seeing as the worst part (being on the plane) doesn’t last very long.
But for flights that last over five hours or for overnight flights, then yes, I would definitely opt for business whenever my budget allows me to. There simply isn’t a better way to get to your destination fully rested and well-fed than by opting for a flat bed.
Hence the point I made in the opening: I don’t mind paying more for something when I know I can get good value out of it. I don’t know about other airlines, but I know I am definitely getting my money’s worth when flying business with SWISS.
And if the heftier price is what’s keeping you away, browse your preferred airline’s website, subscribe to the its newsletter and Facebook page and keep an eye open for sales – they come by quite frequently and might offer the discount you need.